Search This Blog

Saturday, October 9, 2010

California Diary: Mexican Food!

It is not my first trip to California and it definitely is not the first time I am eating good Mexican food, but today's food was really too good.

 

The occasion: I being invited for lunch as a guest of honor! The place was handpicked by Victor (a Mexican himself!). When I told everyone I like Mexican and I have been to Chillies many times, they all smiled.

 

They took me to 'Avilas El Ranchito;' somewhere in Orange County Southern California. The placed looked like a Mexican house with a traditional look. There were stuffed animals hung on the walls. God only knows how old they were. I did not ask. The place was started by a lady of Mexican origin about 45 years back and has been managed by a family. It looks like they could have easily accommodated at least 150 guests at a time.

 

The tortilla they served and even the Salsa was freshly prepared and one could make out the absence of preservatives. The taste was distinctly different than what we get in a typical 7-Eleven. The stuff would have gone really well (as Chakna) with some drinks, but none of us was in a mood to drink as we have to return back to work. Obviously I was the only one in the group to order a vegetarian dish. They told me the dish would be a bit "hot" but was not. The food was well-prepared and served with a "professional smile."

 

All-in-all, very good food and great time! I know where to go next time for Mexican food.

No comments: