Search This Blog

Saturday, October 9, 2010

California Diary: An evening at the Self Realization Fellowship Center (Fullerton)

After freaking out with Aniruddha (Ani) in the first two weeks, the third week at California was to get a tinge of spirituality!

 

The day before Ani left for India we had a long discussion on philosophy and spirituality. Suddenly I remembered that the Swami Paramhansa Yogananda had mentioned about the Self Realization Fellowship (SRF) Centers he had started in California. We casually searched for some places and the nearest SRF temple turned out to be only about 7 miles away from my hotel, in a town called Fullerton.

 

Ani drove us there only to find out that the center was closed. But we got an idea about their typical schedule in a week and the events conducted. After dropping Ani at the LA airport, I went to the SRF center and was welcomed by a gentleman with a broad smile and open heart. He gave me detailed information about the various courses offered and events conducted at the center. I was introduced to some volunteers offering 'Seva' at the center. After talking to me for some time one of them even asked me if I could take some lectures for school children on Sundays. I told them that I was only in town for a few days and therefore the idea was welcome, but not practical. They seemed convinced with the answer and welcomed me to take a look at the various rooms in the center. I noticed the small (but neat) auditorium and a couple of other rooms that were used for meetings and classes. There is a sound-proof room from where you can see the stage and also hear the lectures (but your voice will not come out.) It is meant for individuals and families undergoing extreme stress. Seemed like a good idea where they can let go of their stress and emotions without disturbing others or even attracting unnecessary attention.

 

I was handed over the events calendar for the month of October 2010. The gentleman who welcomed me was in Pune for some time. After realizing that I am a Maharashtrian, he invited me for lunch/dinner with his family. He told me about SRF center in Pune where I could do the course and get more information.

 

I went back on 7th October for a lecture session. The session was conducted in the auditorium I saw the other day. It had photographs of Swami Paramhansa Yogananda, Sri Sri Yukteshwar Giri, Lahiri Mahashay, Mah-avatar Babaji, and sketches of Jesus Christ and Bhagwan Krishna.

 

It started with a prayer and a 15 minutes meditation followed. We were asked to register names of individuals who could be stressed and in need of help/relief (including us, if applicable). The speaker later explained various aspects of meditation with a lot of examples. We ended the session with a prayer. As a part of the prayer we were asked to direct the prayer and the energy to anyone in the world who needs it. When they dimmed the lights during the prayer the photographs and sketches seemed to come alive and radiate energy. For a moment I thought the Great Guru's are sitting right there. The speaker spoke about how the Great Saints are omnipresent, even after their physical presence on the planet ceases to exist. We were asked to make donations. I hardly had any cash in my pocket because my entire existence was on the basis of the pre-paid US$ card given to me. But I did not get a feeling of inferiority because I saw others who did not pay anything or a few who paid in dimes (10 cents). No one (other than me) was looking at who paid and how much. I felt so stupid at that moment! Anyways, part of my personality I guess! 

 

Overall it was nice and neat session. I thanked the speaker and left. Must mention here that I did experience inner peace during and after the lecture. For almost half an hour I was signing bhajans to myself. I did not listen to any music neither I spoke to anyone…

 

Looking forward to more. May be on coming Saturday or Sunday!

No comments: