Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Adios Amigos

I met Victor at my client's office. He was the one to suggest the name of the Mexican Hotel for us to go and have food at.

 

Victor was extremely jolly and good at heart. He was the die-hard fan of basketball and staunch supporter of the LA Lakers team. While talking to him I told him what I had learnt during my previous US visit. In 2009 I was working on a project for client in Kansas. I was put up at a decent apartment. The complex had a gym and it had lots of photographs of noted sports personalities who grew up in Kansas. There I learnt that Basketball was invested in Kansas. They used to play it with something that looked like a "bucket" kept at waist height. Later on as the game developed the "bucket-like structure" was replaced by a basket fixed at a high level pole.

 

When I told Victor that basket ball was invented in Kansas he immediately replied "and it was perfected in LA." Knowing Victor's passion for the game and support for the team I had to agree at once. I also told him that I almost missed an opportunity to watch an NBA match at Seattle about 5 years back. You could count on Victor to know everything about NBA. His reply was "Well that wasn't a strong team and they moved to another city later/ They wanted a batter ground for playing matches. Seattle did not give that so their owner moved the team to another city." Victor then explained to me how the NBA matches are conducted.

 

Our discussions went on for some time where he told me that he was a musician and used to perform with a group live. Victor told me about some of the festivals celebrated by Mexicans. This included some of the festivals when them remember the dead. It is called "Day of the Dead" celebrated in first week of November. On these days they arrange all the things liked by that person on a table. This can include food, photos, items, even certificates, trophies the person used/won. These days the family would come together, remember the deceased and celebrate. I am sure the readers can find more information about this on the web. Lots of photos would also be available. Check out http://www.inside-mexico.com/featuredead.htm

 

He said they even play music during funerals. Death is celebrated. It sounded a bit strange, but if you go to the core of the philosophy, it is understandable. A soul is leaving behind a human body and is being elevated to higher degree of consciousness.

 

I was to return to India the next day, when I was saying goodbye to everyone at office, Victor said "Adios Amigo"

 

I promised him to watch a NBA match with him during my next visit to USA.

No comments: